Friday, January 23, 2009

To Demeter

This myth annoyed me to no end. In fact I will hold this myth accountable for a major flaw in society. How to put my rant into a coherent ramble? So this daughter is abducted by people and the mom wants her back. Ok. Understandable. However, how old is the daughter? Does that really matter? Way back when girls were married at seven years old. And it seems, based on other tellings of this tale that Persephone falls in love with her capture, so why can't the mother get over it? Is her daughter supposed to live at home till she's 40? I realize they are gods so 40 really doesn't mean anything, but honestly? Why is there such a huge deal made of keeping families together - as in in the same area? Isn't the point of having children to prepare them to go off and make their OWN lives? Not continue to live in the same one? I bet you that if Demeter had had a son there would be no story like this. Men are SUPPOSED to go off and make their own way, while women are supposed to stay and be weighed down with family and if not they are considered evil and ungrateful. It's a double standard and annoys me. And there is my rant

On another note, this story is the Elizabeth Smart story

No comments:

Post a Comment